Best and Worst Pies to Indulge in This Holiday Season
The holiday season is quickly approaching and one popular American tradition is the assortment of pies that will grace your holiday table.
Whether your heading home to a home-cooked meal courtesy of mom or dad, or staying on campus and creating a dorm room delight, skipping dessert is probably the last thing you’re considering.
So, instead of depriving your body of a holiday treat, check out our list of the best and worst pies (according to calorie and fat gram count) typically served at holiday parties to give you an idea of what kind of semi-healthy indulging you’re willing to engage in.
- Lemon Meringue Pie: about 322 calories, 12 grams of fat per slice. The fluffy topping that seems to be the delectable part of the popular pie is made with mostly egg whites instead of cream keeping the calorie count minimal.
- Pumpkin Pie: about 386 calories, 15 grams of fat per slice. It’s hard to have a holiday season without pumpkin pie, and filled with fiber and iron, pumpkin pie is a pretty good pick for your dessert of choice.
- Apple Pie: about 482 calories, 21 grams of fat per slice. As long as you skip the a la mode and cinnamon sugar, apple pie is still a healthier option compared to the other popular pies.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie: about 822 calories, 60 grams of fat per slice. Unless you’re really ready to splurge, this calorie-packed cream and sugar-filled pie should probably be skipped this holiday season.
- Cherry Pie: about 617 calories, 29 grams of fat per slice. Whitesnake may love sweet cherry pie, but that doesn’t mean you should. Don’t let the fruit filling fool you- to counter the tart taste of cherries, this pie is loaded with sugar.
- Pecan Pie: bout 685 calories, 41 grams of fat per slice. While this pie may be your grandparent’s favorite, it might not be your best choice unless you really can portion control on this pie.
So, now that you’re a little bit more knowledgeable about your dessert options and the choices you have, enjoy the holiday season and your parties!
Via Glamour Magazine