Most college students know what finals week really means. It’s not about preparing for weeks in advance and walking into the classroom the day of the test, completely confident that you will earn an “A+”. No, what it’s really about is spending hours upon hours in the library, beating facts into your brain, and surviving off coffee from Starbucks and snacks from vending machines. Not very healthy, and not very good brain food, either.
The food that you eat while studying is actually very important. I bet you didn’t know that your brain uses roughly 20 percent of the daily calories you consume and it needs healthy foods to help function better. Here are some foods that will help your brain function properly, because you want every advantage on test day you can.
1. “I’m a fruitarian…” Blueberries, apples and oranges are some of your best bets for your brain. These fruits are all known for being nutritionally dense and provide your brain with the nutrients it needs to properly function. Try This Recipe: Banana Berry Dream
2. Go nuts! Or at least go for walnuts. Walnuts are full of Omega-3 fatty acids, which really help your brain get to work. You can also eat other sources of these fatty acids, such as tuna, seeds, and other nuts. Try This Recipe: Pumpkin Walnut Snack Muffins
3. “Water, water, everywhere…” If you are like me, then you are drinking enough coffee during finals week to support a small coffee plantation. Drinking this much coffee, however, can have negative side effects, such as nervousness, shaking, and can make you hyper. Counter these effects by drinking some water to keep yourself hydrated and keep your brain happy.
4. Ladies, take it easy on this one: CHOCOLATE! Several studies have shown that a small amount of dark chocolate is actually very good for your body and your brain. Plus, it tastes delicious! However, this is not your license to empty the vending machine of all its Hershey’s bars. There is still a lot of sugar and fat in these candy bars. Try This Recipe: Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cakes
5. Okay, forget about being a fruitarian… Stock up on those veggies. Carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers are all great choices because they have a lot of nutrients and vitamins that your body needs. Plus, munching on these bad boys will not force you to spend hours in the gym afterward. Try This Recipe: Carrot Hummus
Do you have fool-proof study snacks that you want to share with the EDUinReview community? Tell us about them below!
Tips for Handling Finals Stress
5 Ways to Prepare for Finals
Staying Sane as You Study for Finals